Thursday, April 24, 2008

Quitter

Today is the 2-year anniversary for me being cigarette free. As my brand of choice was Camel Ultra-Lights (hard pack), at a pack a day, that calculates out to:

14,600 cigarettes I didn’t smoke
$2,190 saved (conservative estimate using $3 per pack)
5,840 mg of nicotine not entering my lungs
73,000 mg of tar not entering my lungs
102,200 mg of carbon monoxide not entering my lungs

Lighting up has become a vague memory at this point and it’s not really something that I think about much anymore. It’s been on my mind more than normal recently as this date has been approaching. And of course all the doctors and nurses at each visit I’ve made ask if I smoke so that’s kept it in my mind a bit more as well.

All of the above being said, I still miss smoking quite a bit. Yes I’m healthier for quitting. Yes it’s a nasty habit and the leading cause of all kinds of statistics. But damn it all was it fantastic! Being able to light up and get a fix any time of the day? More of that please. Before pulling the plug, stick a cigarette in my mouth and fire it up. If that doesn’t bring me out of the coma then I’m a goner and you can safely disconnect the machines.

Smoke ‘em and enjoy ‘em today. Have an extra one for me.

No comments: