Friday, April 2, 2010

Random Ridgeline

Date: April 1, 2010
Destination: Random Ridgeline above Hot Springs
Sleeping location: Tent
Daily miles: 8.0

Another perfect day weather-wise. It might have actually been a touch too hot, my forehead and face feel sunburnt.

The coolest thing today happened about a third of the way up Bluff Mountain. There was a small clearing about a hundred yards from the Trail & a jeep was parked there with people milling about. I looked closer and it looked to be an archaeological digsite of some sort. Very, very nifty! I should have stopped to chat with them but I kept going up the mountain instead.

Had lunch today sitting on a rock at the top of Bluff Mountain. I couldn't have asked for a more beautiful spot. It was a fun climb up and well worth the effort.

The worst thing today was an error on my trail map. I got to where I'd planned on stopping earlier than anticipated, and since my map showed a tiny knob with only a 140ft elevation gain ahead, I decided to push on for another 30mins or so. 2 hours & much higher than 140ft later, I finally reached the top. Guess that was my "April Fools" for the day.

I'm camped tonight on a ridgeline just on the other side of this unnamed mointain. Pulled an 8.0 mile day today, and man does everything hurt. Should make it to Hot Springs tomorrow.

No comments: